Last Chance to Register for SWANApalooza
SWANA’s Technical Conference Goes Virtual Next Week
SWANA’s premier technical conference will take place the week of June 22-25. Virtual SWANApalooza will be a combination of livestreamed keynote presentations, pre-recorded technical presentations, livestreamed discussions and briefings, video chats, chat box forums, and an interactive exhibit site.
Michael Greenberg, SWANA’s President, noted “The event includes a terrific line up of experienced and exciting speakers covering COVID-19, recycling challenges, landfill management, energy recovery, landfill gas and biogas technologies, safety and more. I’m looking forward to participating and encourage others to do so as well.”
The livestreamed keynotes, being aired June 23-25, will be recorded and made available to registered attendees on-demand. All sessions will be recorded and available to view for up to a year after the event.
Featured Keynote Presentations
SWANA has updated SWANApalooza’s program to include the latest information on COVID-19 and its effect on the solid waste and recycling industry.
- COVID-19 – Impact on Solid Waste Operations and Lessons LearnedTuesday, June 23, 2020: 1:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. EDTKick-off virtual SWANApalooza with a look at the impact of the COVID-19 on solid waste operations. New York City’s Commissioner Kathryn Garcia sits down for a conversation with SWANA CEO, David Biderman to give you a first-hand account from the epicenter of this pandemic.
- Overcoming Recycling Challenges and Taking Advantage of New OpportunitiesThursday, June 25, 2020: 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM EDTFrom disruptions and challenges to new opportunities, join the EPA’s Kathleen Salyer and other recycling experts in an engaging conversation about how the industry is tackling challenges in recycling and embracing new ways and opportunities for managing it.
- COVID-19 Steps to RecoveryThursday, June 25, 2020: 4:30 p.m. – 5:15 p.m. EDTJoin solid waste leaders, including Waste Connections CEO, Worthing Jackman, former SWANA President Michelle Leonard (SCS Engineers), Orange County Waste and Recycling Director Tom Koutroulis and Biderman, as they discuss the steps that the industry will need to take as we navigate to the ‘new normal’ in a post-COVID world.
- The State of Solid Waste: The More Things Change, The More They Stay the SameJoin Michael E. Hoffman, Group Head Diversified Industrials / Managing Director of Stifel, to discuss the state of the waste and recycling industry in a Post-COVID 19 world. What is your role in building a fundamental bridge between the interests of the public, politicians and policy makers? What are the new key performance indicators?
- “Are Your Workers Safe?” OSHA, SWANA and NWRA—Working Together to Improve Safety and Health and Build a Better Work EnvironmentKurt Petermeyer, OSHA’s Regional Administrator for the Southeastern US, will describe how OSHA, NWRA, and SWANA members can work together to improve the industry’s safety record. Mr. Petermeyer will discuss OSHA’s role in protecting workers, industry injury and fatality statistics, fundamentals in maintaining sound safety and health programs, and the goals and activities under the September 2019 Alliance agreement signed between OSHA, SWANA and the NWRA, describing how the waste industry and government are working together to ensure a safe workplace. He also will describe some of OSHA’s priorities and areas of strategic interest.More sessions to check out:
SWANApalooza 2020 registration is open to editors, reporters, and freelance journalists with valid press credentials, and bloggers on a case-by-case basis.
For more information on SWANApalooza, visit SWANApalooza.org.
To register for SWANApalooza 2020 as a member of the press, please email Sarah Beidleman. SWANA will help connect you with the speaker you are interested interviewing. Registration ends Thursday, June 18, 2020.